Friday, May 19, 2006

irony?

All of those who read these scribblings must know that my purpose is not to brag or even illustrate my amount of free/leisure time. It is the events that occur within/because of/through that I mean to pass on...

Today at the pool, I enjoyed a witty, well-written paperback while taking in the mid-day sun and the occasional dip into the cool refreshing water. During one of my turns in the water I noticed a moth, still alive, yet struggling to stay afloat. Now I have nothing wrong with stepping on a bug or swatting a fly, etc. but in this case I saw no reason for this moth to continue to suffer. I cupped my left hand and scooped the light brown winged creature from the pool. I set him up on the ledge and watched his damp wings flutter in an attempt to dry. The sun was working quite quickly and I blew an occasional breath his way to move things along. Soon enough he would fly again. After a mere minute things looked near dry and i was sure he was ready to get going. All of the sudden a mockingbird swooped down("not good" i thought), landed, (and in the next few seconds) looked towards the moth(in the predatory way of the bird featured in the movie "A Bug's Life"), took two hops forward and pecked, snatching the moth up and off he went. The moth did fly again, just not the way I anticipated.

All that to say... today I fed a bird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home